Crunchy vegetables, tender lamb, tons of flavors
This is a lovely salad that combines oriental flavors, different textures and healthy ingredients.
The lamb works perfectly with the sweetness from pomegranate and figs. Fennel, peppers and almonds add a crunch to the salad, the mint gives the whole salad a nice kick. If you want it to be creamy as well, add some (soft) goat cheese, just make sure its flavor is not too strong. All in all, I love how all the ingredients work together!
If you’re into salads, but like to step it up once in a while, this is the right dish for you. It might take a bit longer to make this salad, but it’s totally worth it. Just try it out and let me know what you think!
For the salad
4 lamb filets
4 handful of mixed salad leaves, washed
1 fennel bulb, finely sliced
4 sticks celery
1 yellow pepper, cored, seeded and diced
1 red onion, finely sliced
100g of fresh pomegranate seeds
4 dried figs, chopped
a bunch of fresh mint, leaves picked and stalks removed
1 pinch of cinnamon
2 handfull sliced almonds, lightly toasted
100g of soft goat cheese, crumbled (optional)
1 spring of fresh rosemary
1 clove of garlic
For the vinaigrette
6 tbsp olive oil extra vergine
2 tbsp raspberry vinegar
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp water
1. Wash the lamb filets with cold water and blot dry with kitchen towel. Season with salt, pepper and cinnamon.
2. Heat a pan with a lug of olive oil, add rosemary and garlic and then quickly sear the lamb from all sides. Remove the lamb filets from the pan, place on a plate and cover with aluminum foil. Let rest for 15 minutes.
3. Discard rosemary and garlic. Add water and balsamic vinegar to the hot pan so the roasting remainders blend with the vinegar. Leave to cool off. Then add olive oil and raspberry vinegar. Stir well and season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Place salad leaves, fennel, celery, bell pepper, onion, pomegranate seeds, figs, mint and goat cheese in a big bowl, add the vinaigrette and mix well.
5. Uncover the lamb filet and cut diagonally into even chunks. Place on top of the salad and sprinkle with the toasted almonds. Serve right away.